Long time no talk! I have not done one of these posts for a month. I normally do them every other weekend, but I just wasn’t feeling up to it. I’ve been feeling stressed, anxious, and rundown because of health stuff. I kind of didn’t even feel like posting one today. But I like to show what books I’ve gotten and read, and they pile up too much if I wait too long, so here I am.
I watched some movies since we last talked, most notably The Covenant. Someone mentioned on Twitter that a movie about hot, half-naked male witches was available on Netflix, so I watched it. (Don’t worry, there were hot, half-naked girls too, so something for everyone!) It was good in an overdramatic, B-movie, trying-too-hard-to-be-edgy sort of way. The magic special effects were really cool.
When I told my grandma about the movie, we started talking about nudity in movies, and then she told me that she and a friend went to a play together once when they were younger only to find out when they got there that all the actors were naked. She didn’t remember what the play was about, just that the actors rolled around a lot. 😂 #GrandmaWisdom #OkNotReallyWisdomButStillAGreatStory #IWantToGoToANakedPlayNowItSoundsFun
And that’s about it for my random, un-newsworthy news. Onto the books!
I actually have lots of good bookish news! I won three giveaways since my last update, and I have some print ARCs coming my way that I’m excited for! (I honestly get so excited every single time I get approved for a print ARC.) I don’t have any of the books yet, but I can at least say thank you to Daniela @ Nocturnal Devices for the $10 Amazon gift card I got for being the top commenter on her blog :-)
Also, you might’ve noticed I haven’t been doing many discussions lately. I’ll get back to doing more eventually! I just haven’t had the energy for them.
Books I Received for Review:
5/27/18: Amendments was from the author. Sleepless Vol. 1 was from Edelweiss (a download one that you don’t need approval for, so go grab a copy if you’re interested).
6/3/18: Lovesick Titans was from the author. Shadow of the Fox was from NetGalley.
6/10/18: Detox in Letters was from the publisher. The Gilded King was from the author.
Books I Finished:
All in all, I’ve had some fantastic reading in the past month! Two 4.5-star books, and my first 5-star of the year!
5/27/18: Mongrels was amazing and totally satisfied my werewolf mood! Sleepless Vol. 1 was diverse and an enjoyable graphic novel, just not quite to my tastes.
6/3/18: I was hesitant about American Hippo since I wasn’t sure it’d be SFF-enough for me, but I really liked it! The Gorgon Bride disappointed me because the gorgon was hardly in it :-/ Lovesick Titans was super angsty but adorable, and I loved it.
6/10/18: The Frankenstein retellings continue! I was totally gripped by This Dark Endeavor and Such Wicked Intent.
6/17/18: I was honestly starting to think there would be no 5-stars this year, or that maybe I was just getting too hard to impress, but Detox in Letters blew me away! I’m so excited for my review, but it’s gonna be a couple months since the cover hasn’t even been revealed yet.
What I’m Loving:
This week, what I’m loving is…
Liam from Monster Prom
— Kristen Burns (Metaphors and Moonlight) (@whykristenburns) June 16, 2018
(Click anywhere on the tweet to open it in Twitter.)
I was gonna go with just Monster Prom in general, but my Liam appreciation tweet didn’t get any love, so I shall now force it upon all my blog readers :-P Seriously though, he’s great, and the whole game is a lot of fun. I’ll be reviewing it on Friday.
In Case You Missed It:
– I reviewed Dead Indian Wars by Clark Casey, an inappropriately fun paranormal western.
– I talked about how I love character description and asked if you like it too.
– I reviewed Bloom by Desdemona Wren, a sweet F/F paranormal romance with a nymph.
– I shared June/July/August sci-fi/fantasy releases to get excited about.
– I reviewed Djinn City by Saad Z. Hossain, a humorous yet dark story with lots of djinns.
– I reviewed American Hippo by Sarah Gailey, a diversity-filled alternative history with hippos in the Old West.
– I did the “You’re Not Good Enough” book tag, which I promise is not as mean as it sounds.
– I reviewed The Reign of the Departed by Greg Keyes, a strange but fun urban/high fantasy mash-up.
– I reviewed Lovesick Titans by Amanda Meuwissen, a sweet M/M duology finale about a superhero-villain romance.
– I recommended 10 LGBT+ sci-fi/fantasy books written by LGBT+ authors.
– I reviewed The Grey Bastards by Jonathan French, a rowdily fun high fantasy about half-orcs.
– I talked about my current bookish infatuations.
– I reviewed Pack by Mike Bockoven, an urban fantasy about a werewolf pack in a small town.
The Sunday Post Link-Up:
Once again, I’m linking up to The Sunday Post at Caffeinated Book Reviewer :-)