Since I love vampire books, it makes sense that I do, in fact, enjoy some of the vampire tropes out there. If I didn’t, I probably wouldn’t be a fan. And some of my absolute favorite books are about pretty typical gorgeous, brooding vampires. So I’m not complaining that books with the tropes exist. But all tropes all the time can get repetitive and boring. That’s why I also happen to love when authors ignore the tropes, or turn the stereotypes on their head, or do something unique and different. So let’s talk about it!
Why I Want More Books about Vampires without the Tropes & Cliches
As I said, it just keeps things different and interesting! And it can also make things a lot funnier, relatable, or believable.
The Current Tropes & Cliches
– Vampires are gorgeous, as though no one unattractive ever gets turned.
– Vampires are filthy rich, despite seemingly not having jobs.
– The 2000-year-old vampire falling in love with the teenage girl.
– Said teenage girl is the vampire’s reincarnated love.
– Vampires always grew up in some notable place during some notable time in the past and are history experts.
– Vampire biting is sexy and pleasurable.
– Vampires are brooding and angsty.
– Main character vampires almost always had a terrible sire who abused or abandoned him/her.
– Main character vampires, or the sire of the main characters, are almost always super old and powerful.
I’m sure there are others I can’t think of right now, but these are the ones that seem to have become the most trope-ish in my experiences.
Ok none of the things in my little bulleted list are new or unique ideas, they’re just things I want more of:
– Baby vampires who have just been turned and don’t know how to vampire. (Seriously, I love this!)
– Sires who stick with and teach and are good to their vampire children.
– Vampires with jobs.
– Vampires who aren’t perfect and graceful and gorgeous.
– Modern vampires who are just like you and me, except with a new dietary restriction and aversion to sunlight.
– Vampires who don’t date teenagers.
And here are some other fantastic and hilarious ideas I’ve come across on Tumblr and Pinterest that you can read if you want a laugh or something to think about:
Books That Already Exist about Vampires that Defy the Tropes
Ok, all of these don’t completely defy every trope that there is, but each one defies at least one or two tropes or is unique as a vampire book in some way. I’ll link to my reviews below so you can get more info on the books if you want to :-)