I had a bit of a rocky start with this book, but I ended up enjoying it in the end and finding a lot to like about it, despite having some issues.
What I Disliked:
– Cassidy and Dominic’s relationship was falling apart because they weren’t doing the blood drinking, so they didn’t have a mind connection. Because of that, Cassidy wasn’t telling Dominic important things, she wouldn’t believe him about things, etc. But… that’s how normal couples function. If she and Dominic couldn’t trust each other without being able to read each others’ minds, then they had bigger problems. I could understand being upset, but I felt like some of her reaction was overly dramatic.
– Jackson’s insistence that Dominic was a monster and that Cassidy was compelled got tiresome.
– This book got a little too paranormal romance trope-y at times for my taste. Not a bad thing because it is a paranormal romance series, just a me thing because I’m particular about romance.
What I Liked:
– This author writes emotions really well—panic, terror, love, denial, confusion, worry, horror, fear, devastation, so many different emotions both positive and negative—and portrays them in a way that’s potent but realistic.
– I didn’t think the vampires were that unique in the first book, but this one changed my mind. I don’t want to spoil anything, but there’s a cool concept that explains something about why they are the way they are. There’s also a horrifying tale about something that happened to one vampire, related to some of their traits/abilities.
– It was just a good story. The romance was still a big part of things, but there was also a good plot about Dominic’s sire and other vampire stuff. And I liked the complexity of Cassidy and Dominic still having to work with Jackson (a vampire hunter).
I really did enjoy this one in the end. The vampire stuff was pretty unique, and I was firmly hooked on the story and the characters by the time I finished!
Fans of Book 1 in S.K. Ryder's Dark Destinies series. Anyone who likes vampires with a bit of uniqueness, romance, enemies-to-friends, and tortured heroes who just want to be loved.
More Books in the Series:
The only thing standing between a new vampire and eternal darkness is the mortal woman who claims his heart.
Youngling vampire Dominic Marchant struggles to master his deadly instincts as he hunts the urban jungles of South Florida. He keeps his hunger confined to the blood of the guilty with help from Cassidy Chandler, a human woman who can literally touch his soul. Their love is his last remaining tether to humanity, which is tested beyond endurance when powerful forces from his past introduce him to terrifying new appetites he could never have imagined.
His efforts to protect Cassidy from the depravity overtaking him push their relationship to the brink of shattering. Refusing to give up on the man who is her heart, she takes an unthinkable gamble to save him. But is she fulfilling an ominous prophecy that ensnares them both? Or has she become just another pawn in a cunning game played by the five-thousand-year-old vampire who claims Dominic as his own?
Desperate to rescue her from a fate worse than death, Dominic strikes a perilous bargain with his greatest enemies only to face an impossible choice–embrace his darkest self . . . or destroy the woman he cannot live without.