This is the first time I’ve ever promoted a Kickstarter campaign, but that’s because this is the first time I’ve ever been so excited for one!
I won’t talk too much about my thoughts on this incredible webcomic series because I’ll review Volume 1 once I get my hands on a print copy, but what I will say is that if you like any of the following:
– magic and the supernatural
– lovable characters (one always smiling, one always scowling)
– adorable M/M relationships
– 1930s gangsters
– beautiful artwork
– amazing stories
then you need this graphic novel in your life. And the prequel novel. And maybe some swag. You guys, there’s this deck of cards—I haven’t even played cards since probably high school, but I NEED these because they’re just so pretty!
(I swear I’m not getting compensated to say any of this. I just love this comic so much. The characters are my phone background.)
If I’ve already convinced you, you can go support the project and get yourself a copy here!
Not only that, the wonderful creators of Bang! Bang! BOOM!, Melanie “Croik” Schoen and Del Borovic, have five interesting, spoiler-free things to share about their world and characters that you might not know, so let’s get to it!
5 Things Readers Might Not Know about the BOOMverse
1) Despite possessing magical powers that can reduce all things living or not into ash, Cheshire is very easily frightened by ghost stories. If you were to ask him, he would insist that the supernatural and the demonic are NOT the same. This came about when we were looking up popular books from his time and were reminded of H.P. Lovecraft.
2) Jakub is naturally gifted when it comes to learning and speaking new languages. He is fluent in Yiddish, Polish, and English, and knows bits of Hungarian and French. Though in Polish his name would be pronounced Yah-koop, he has deferred to the American pronunciation ever since entering the States, as a means of fitting in and avoiding questions about his heritage. Though in the print version of the novel Mel did sneak in its diminutive Polish form, Kuba.
3) One thing we’re surprised that no one has questioned us on yet is Bunny’s sigil: it’s based on a demon listed in the Ars Goetia, known to have gifted those who summoned them with wit and courage. Bunny isn’t the only demon that will be appearing in the story, and we do have plans to introduce other varieties of inhuman characters as well.
4) In designing our main boys, Jakub was the easier of the two, and he has changed very little from Del’s second time drawing him onward. Without discussing it we both felt he should have wild dark hair. Cheshire was more of an interesting challenge, being a marriage of the muscle/strongman but also the fancy clothes, nice hair and glasses. In appearance, and to a lesser degree in temperment, he started out more serious, which changed over time, along with the length of his bangs. His expressive personality means it’s easy for him to span from doe-eyed and sweet to villainous, so he’s always fun and difficult to draw. From the beginning we were interested in designing against type, with our suited, glasses-wearing blonde be the playful one, and his rough-looking, shorter partner be more composed and serious.
5) Some original ideas for the novel that didn’t make it into the final cut included: a larger role for the Foucher bootlegger family in the fued with the Foleys; a span of a few years between Barney’s Wedding and Backfire where Jakub fell out of love with Cheshire for a while before the face-bandaging scene dragged him back in; and most importantly, Jakub’s love of animals. Mel toyed with the idea that Jakub would set out food and water for the local feral cats and maybe had one in particular that would hang out, but never got around to it. Maybe a little too on the nose. But we will get to see him interact with more animals in volume 2 of the comic!
Thank you so much to Melanie and Del for sharing those facts and artwork! I can definitely see Jakub being friends with feral cats 😂
About Bang! Bang! BOOM!
Description from the Kickstarter: “Bang! Bang! BOOM! takes place in an alternate history version of Jazz Era America, where a handful of companies have taken technology beyond what it was at the time, and magic is a curiosity rather than an impossibility. Our story follows the adventures and romantic relationship of a pair of gangsters out to make a name for themselves: Jakub Danowicz, the ridiculously stoic pointman with a secret, sentimental side; and Cheshire Bloom, bombastic and ever-smiling, who is in possession of explosive magical powers. Together, they commit crime!”
Head over to the Kickstarter page to learn more, see all the awesome stuff you can get, and back this project! And whether you back the project or not, you can always help the creators and those of us who really want print copies by spreading the word :-)
You can also find the webcomic and social media links to stay up to date on the series here!